Friday, September 17, 2010

Ya'at'eeh! (Hello)

Maybe this is a stretch, or maybe I’m dead on.

Sometime a year and a half ago during a picnic at the arboretum at UCDavis I came across Psalm 84:11b for the first time. And for some reason the words kinda just stuck in my heart and mind:
“No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.”

So, one thing you may not know about me… I’m on Craig’s List, like, everyday. Sometimes multiple times a day. I don’t know for what purpose God has put such a scavenger heart within me, but it’s an unquenchable passion of mine. So sometime last week I was being true to myself and on Craig’s List searching under the For Sale – Musical Instruments tab and I saw a posting labeled “Yamaha Keyboard - $50.” No fancier title or attention getting icons. I click. I view. I gasp. Inner monologue goes off, “Why is this crazy person selling a Portable Grand Yamaha Keyboard for $50?? $50?? I want.” So I email that crazy person and engage in a week-long emotional rollercoaster of that crazy person stringing me along with ambiguous responses of the keyboards availability. I thought about all the possibilities of creative outlet if I had that keyboard in my possession and was devastated that I couldn’t just secure it immediately. Embarrassingly enough, during that week of pending possession of the keyboard, I found myself in my room genuinely crying out to God, “God, I just really want that keyboard. Am I relying too much on material possessions? I promise I’ll use it for Your Kingdom!” Such a childish prayer, I know, I know. But God already knew what was in my heart, so I might as well let it out, right? Long story short, I got it this past Tuesday! And have been true to using it for His Kingdom in prayer meetings, band practices, and personal moments of praise and worship.

A few days after having the keyboard, I was just sitting at my desk emailing my parents and sister about my miraculous purchase and typing how I genuinely thought God gave that keyboard to me, and then I just thought about that for a moment. God gave that keyboard to me – no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. For some reason that gave me so much comfort. I felt God was comforting me by letting me know where I am is uprightly where I am supposed to be. No no, I’m not preaching that prosperity trash. All I’m saying is that God happened to show favor upon His daughter in this particular way, and His daughter has been so comforted as a result. Be it an over-spiritualized stretch, or an accurate interpretation of God’s provision and message to me, I am comforted with the assurance that, truly, no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

I know it’s been quite some time since I’ve updated this last, but I’ll justify that hiatus by saying I’ve been BUSY. But it’s been great. Even though it’s been a month in Flagstaff, everything is still new and fresh so it’s hard to express what’s been going on both externally and internally. I’ve been trying to build relationships with the students, which is my primary desire, and am grateful to God for the interactions that He has given thus far. I have met nothing but genuine hearts with a longing and yearning for God, and that is the most wonderful type of heart to be around.

Some of my prayer requests:
- Busy is not something I’m used to especially after my lifestyle from last year, plus it’s the type of busy where there is no set schedule, there’s just a long list of things to do – so I have to schedule my time wisely with remembering that intimacy with God is first priority. So my request is for wisdom to realize that this list of things to do should first be done with a heart that is completely surrendered and in tune with God, which only happens when I am in that state of intimacy with God (just like Jesus).
- To know more deeply and intimately the things God is teaching me with every day that passes. I know that God is helping me deal with certain things of my past by putting me in this environment. Pray that I can let go of what I think is safe, and allow myself to go deeper into where God wants me to go. Eesh.
- Finance is a new area of life that I have to trust God with. I have people over daily, and for some reason I have this desire to feed them! Which I love to do, but I’m realizing the cost of feeding/driving people adds up. Currently with monthly financial support I’m not too sure how I am faring since it’s only been a month, but I know that God will provide. Before I thought I’d just get a part-time job if I was having financial shortcomings, but I’m realizing based on these two weeks that my commitment keeps me a little busier than I thought. This is a time where I am trying to not be anxious when I look at the numbers in my bank account, but to see it as an opportunity to trust in Jehovah Jirah.
- One Tribe praise team has officially been activated! I’m working with/training 8 people divided into 2 teams. For all but 2, this is the first time they have ever been on a team. And for some it’s the first time ever picking up the instrument they are playing… so it’s just going to take a lot of time and attention to each individual in order to get a comfortable feel with playing together. Please pray for quick and retentive learners with (most importantly) humble and attentive hearts.
- I’m co-leading a small group bible study. Man, the girls are so beautiful. We had our first real bible study this past Wednesday on 1 John 1:1-4, and it was powerful. God was convicting each one of us to uphold the truth and testify of who Jesus is to the world and to us as individuals. Pray for the seed of truth to take root downward and bear fruit upward, with nothing else but zeal of the Lord burning in our hearts. (Isaiah 37:31-32)

That’s it for now. Now it’s your turn to update me with a message of how you’re doing! God is God, God is good.

With much Love,
Uno

5 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! I'm glad to see that you are doing well and I hear the students are digging you. Keep up the kingdom work and know that you are not alone over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi uno! i am encouraged by your post. it sounds awesome. please keep us updated.

    i'm working in the city of chicago (full-time) and suburbs (part-time). working is humbling. i miss the freedom and late mornings (after 9 am!) of unemployment but it's good to meet new people and learn a new community.

    i miss you! please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes people are afraid to invoke God into matters but it's true God gave it, so we should perceive life as it is... proclaiming God and be thankful. of course we should praise God like Job...I like how one thing leads to another craigslist>keyboard>praising God... your plea bargain reminds me of Samuel's mom and pledging her firstborn, all for God's glory =D. w/e our gifts they all come from one Spirit...

    I think your struggles are a blessing bring you closer to God...it's been in true my life it gives me reasons to seek God and rely on him...

    keep sharing Jesus with those around you and remember God's grace...1 Cor 15:10,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uno, i just came back home from a short trip with my church's choir team and i got this graceful story from you. i'm so glad to see how you are doing good at flagstaff in God's mercy. Also, I'm so missing you and one tribe family. I wish i could go there and see how much God loves us. Keep your fire toward God and Jesus. i will pray so!!

    And I appreciate that you share these msgs..
    with Love and peace in Jesus Christ!

    -Minhee-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uno~! I'm so glad to see what God is doing in your life in the mission field! I remember the last time I saw you, we talked about how you might go to mission for a year and here you are already at work! Being busy for the Lord. I'll keep you in my prayers! I just came back from a mission trip this past summer and I'm actually in so-cal for pharmacy school. I'm depending more and more on God and it's amazing how He answers in ways I never imagined him to. =) I'll keep reading your post and see what else God is doing in your life! And I really love the verse that you posted on Psalms! It's so encouraging! Keep following the lead of the Holy Spirit and I know that you are doing your best there! =) Keep me updated even though we don't really keep in touch! keke This way I know what you're up to!! =D


    Rachel Choi

    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight"

    Proverbs 3:5-6 (I came across this verse RIGHT before I read your blog and thought I'd share with you! )

    ReplyDelete